coyote Weds

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 22 1999 - 00:42:12 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: coyote Weds

============= Wed 21 Apr 99 - Coyote - 4.7/257 (200#)

Kirk sent out e-mail at 9:30 AM asking if anyone wanted to join him for
the morning's ebb, since the wind was already honking. After overcoming
my natural aversion to doing anything before noon, I joined him there
about 10:45. Reports from Shaun and another sailor were not encouraging:
"holey". But based on a fairly steady 24-26 knots at SFO, I rigged 4.7,
Kirk did 5.6 (~230#).

The wind was a bit up and down, but aside from one 10-minute hole, I
was powered to waaay-powered the whole time. I just cranked down the
downhaul and outhaul as much as possible and hung on. I ended up
sailing about two hours.

Kirk was getting used to a new board, but he was just out of sync
with the wind - 5.6 at first, OP'd, then rigged down to 4.6 just as the
wind dropped, then swapped to 5.6 and it built. By 2:00 it was 28g34
knots at SFO.

Coyote chop inside, swell to 3 feet outside. Most of the time
there were only 2-3 other sailors out. The walk through the mud
at the shore was arduous - worse than I remember, but maybe the tide
was just lower (-0.5 ft). But it sure beats 3rd on that low a tide.

There is supposed to be more on Thursday. Get it now, the weekend looks
to suffer from an offshore flow.

"Don't hate yourself in the morning - sleep 'til noon."