Custom Board advice...

From: Tim Roberts (tim@thespringfieldproject.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 11:57:20 PST

From: Tim Roberts <tim@thespringfieldproject.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Custom Board advice...
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:57:20 -0800

I am on the verge of buying a custom epoxy board. Right now I am
considering either an ASD Enduro 8'6" or a Petty 8'6" Gorge Wave. I weigh
about 150 lbs and this will be my primary board for the Bay area (mostly B&J
sailing).

Here are some of the details:

I could either get a 98 or a 99 Enduro.
Get the 98 and save $100 and get the board right now.
Get the 99 and I get a slightly newer shape and I can have some extra glass
put on the nose. I am thinking this wouldn't be a bad idea (a little added
protection for those over the handle bar moments). This will take about 4
weeks.
I used to own an older (95ish) and liked it. Supposedly the recent designs
are quite different. Any opinions?

Or the Petty. Same price as the 99 ASD but without straps and pads. I
would also have to have it shipped down here from the Gorge. This also
means no sales tax. So figure were talking another $75 for the Petty. I
demo'ed a Petty this summer really liked it. They have a great reputation
for being bomb proof. But here is an added complication: Mike Petty stopped
making boards this year. It comes with a 1 year warranty, but not only am I
buying it in Oregon, but the board maker ain't around if there are any
problems. How much of a concern is this?

So any thoughts on Petty or ASDs? Any other suggestions for boards I should
check out? Anything else I am not considering but should be?

Thanks - tim roberts