RE: Santa Monica

From: Kim, Robert W. (robert_kim@mail.northgrum.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 13:14:28 PST

From: "Kim, Robert W." <robert_kim@mail.northgrum.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Santa Monica
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:14:28 -0800

I lived in San Diego and near Santa Monica in Brantwood. The most popular
shortboard site in LA is in San Pedro, Hurricane Gulch. It has very
consistent/predictable wind during summer season. April's probably too
early to expect consistent afternoon wind. You can check Call of the Wind
if you have access. It's about 30 min. drive from Santa Monica w/o the
nasty 405 traffic. You can rent gear from Captain Kirks, or Xtreamline.
Another site is Leo Carillo state beach about 30 min. north of Santa Monica.
I've never sail there because it's much less predictable that San Pedro.

If you sail in the bay and the delta, I can safely tell you San Diego has NO
wind. I learned to sail/windsurf in San Diego. Nice place to learn. I
moved here recently. What a difference! No wonder why I still can't
windsurf after all these years.

I assumed you're talking about shortboarding. I can suggest other places in
LA area if you have a long board.

 Robert W. Kim
 e-mail: robert_kim@mail.northgrum.com-DeleteThis
 phone: (408)735-2638