Re: Coyote Wind Blockage Calcs

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 12:42:04 PST

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Coyote Wind Blockage Calcs
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:42:04 PST

1. MATT CHAPMAN has a win-win solution. Could perhaps 1 low and wide and
large wind-flow-inducing building be built rather than 5 boxes? The
development is said to be planned to be done in phases, but with the
boom on the Peninsula, they could probably build the whole thing at once
and start renting the space. This could attract them, especially if it
keeps 1000 windsurfers from holding up the project, or at least holding
up signs.

2. CALL OF THE WIND has wind data for Coyote back to 1993, I believe.
It's all accessible on-line. www.windcall.com. I'd bet Jim would allow
the data be used for this purpose, just cite the source(!). Any rebuttal
study or analysis could also be based on that data.
  THAT would be better data than whatever Airport data was used, I would
bet. The wind meter itself is on the roof of the Visa or Hertz (?)
rent-a-car building just upwind from Fisherman's park. It's quite
accurate, I have found. And, the Call of the Wind archived charts will
probably prove that the wind blows from the WEST for at least a while
most every single windsurfing day.

3. The original raw wind data used for the RDEIR Wind Study is
available, evidently, from E.S.A. Anyone who wants to analyze it should
be able to call them in S.F. (phone # listed in RDEIR.)

-George