Re: Mitigation, Seal Point, etc. (fwd)

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 12:22:20 PST

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:22:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Mitigation, Seal Point, etc. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:55:19 -0800
From: Greg Harris <harris@Synopsys.COM-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Mitigation, Seal Point, etc.

I wonder if it would be possible as mitigation to try and possibly get
the price reduced if we can somehow come up with a deal to purchase it.
Then I wonder if it might be possible to get someone like the nature
conservancy interested in helping out. Unfortunately, this may be
necessary to have a permanent solution for the site. Also, I was
thinking another mitigation measure could be switching the swimming and
launching areas. That could put us farther upwind where the shadow
wouldn't be as pronounced and the swimmers all hate the wind anyway
right? Plus, we might finally use that nice grass area for rigging
instead of the parking lot.

- A more realistic solution might be to put in some kind of
windsurfer area down near the marina. There's lot's of parking
and while it wouldn't be anywhere as nice a launch for intermediates,
( you have to point up pretty hard to clear the jetty )
It would put the "experts" further out into the wind. For the money
that even purchasing the car lot would cost, you could do alot
to make a decent windsurfing launch.

- This would also be a more 'permanent' solution, particularly with
what might be happening at the airport. Getting a launch that will
only have a few years before it is in the shadow of Yet another
building is not a big win.

- There is a group that focuses on buying and preserving Bay area
lands. The name escapes me at the moment ( Peninsula Open Space Trust
?). They just bought up a big chunk of Bairn Island (the open space
south of Sybase, et al). I'm not sure how interested they are in
preserving a launching area, but they do have experience in dealing
with the various agencies.

- Booker C. Bense