Re: Crissy report 9/23

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 11:39:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:39:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Crissy report 9/23

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, deleted wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have not been sailing since Sunday when I got stuck in the mud at Palo Alto.
> Seems low tide at 3rd and Palo Alto
> is getting more serious as Summer ends. I am guessing from Sept-Oct we should
> be sneaking out of work by 2pm to
> have a longer session before the ebb takes all the water? Is this fair or
> should I read the tide charts
> everyday?

- Reading the tide charts is the best solution, but as a quick & dirty
guesstimate the tides are going to be pretty much the same as they
were yesterday only 1 hr later. The primary tide cycle is 25 hrs.

Anybody want to give some general tide advice as winter approaches?
> I hope someone can
> give us some pointers to avoid that sticky bay mud which makes your wetsuit
> smell!!!

- There are two tides a day. Generally one is bigger than the
other. We don't notice this in the summer as the bigger tide is
usually in the morning. The longer phase parts of the tide cycle
cause this bigger tide to shift to later in the day as the autumn
approachs. There is also a seasonal cycle of bigger tides in the
spring and fall. It's all pretty complex, but predictable. There
really is no subsitute for reading the tide chart.

- Booker C. Bense