Re: Call of the Wind reports - Coyote vs 3rd

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 13:57:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:57:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim Paugh <James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Call of the Wind reports - Coyote vs 3rd

> What about yesterday at Coyote?
>
> Last week it was marginal 6.5 and 7.5 at coyote and I schloged all over
> and yet the sensors were giving sailable wind...
>

> > On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Greg Harris wrote:
> >
> > > I have especially noticed this recently as there have been days in which
> > > Coyote has been reporting around 20 and I go to third and it basically
> > > stinks. I also remember a little while back Mike Godsey having a
> > I remeber situations when COTW was reporting 20 at Coyote while it was
> > barely 10 there, at Coyote. People slogged even in the channel.

For the last few years, you could look at the Coyote readings and they
would correlate to Coyote/3rd pretty accurately. In fact, I've always
felt that the Coyote sensor was one of the most accurate sensors CotW
had. But this year that has changed. I've seen readings of 18-20NW (or
WNW) and neither Coyote nor 3rd were anywhere close to that. I can only
figure that CotW has been tweaking the calibration, maybe to reflect
what is assumed to be happening in the channel. I spoke with Jim Martin
a few months ago, asking him if he changes the sensor calibration
without notice, and he said emphatically "No!". But then in the same
conversation he did admit that he had changed Piedras Blancas sensor.
I tried to emphasize the need to pre-announce changes to sensors, but
I don't know if the importance of this was understood.

Personally, I want the sensor to tell me what's happening on the beach,
so that I can figure out whether I can get off the beach and out to the
channel. A computer extrapolating what may or may not be happening
miles off shore is not much use to me, as it will probably be wrong.

I've come to use my CotW pager a just another metric in predicting
if there is sailable wind at a given site, along with bouy data, SFO
reports, etc.

~Jim Paugh Email:jpaugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis Forsyth Boards/Ezzy Sails