Saxo 270 Redeems Itself

From: rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 12:05:00 PDT

From: rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Saxo 270 Redeems Itself
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:05:00 -0700

This is to anyone who witnessed my frustration on Sunday 8/30.

The Saxo 270 that was making me so mad on Sunday at 3rd (riding slow and
rough, skipping and spinning out, requiring massive fin pumping, jibing
poorly) redeemed itself Monday night at Berkeley in conditions very similar
to Sunday at 3rd. I moved the fin back one tab and the back footstraps
forward as far as they go and viola, a perfectly balanced board. That board
jibes beautifully with the whole rail set. Berkeley, by the way, was
wonderful for the after-work crowd. We sailed until dark with nice waves (a
little better than 3rd had on the inside Saturday, which I considered to be
better than Sunday). The buckle slipping on my adjustable head cap is still
an issue, but I think it's an issue only on that sail (an experiment with a
different cap strap). I think this because I have that same buckle on other
sails and it doesn't slip after it's used once. So to correct the problem
on Monday, I over-downhauled and ended up with maybe 1/16" less than perfect
at the end of my session.