Re: Any recommendations for sites at the Gorge?

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 12:34:32 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:34:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Any recommendations for sites at the Gorge?

> I'm headed off to the Gorge after the Labor Day weekend. This is my first
> time going up there and I'm looking for sites that fit my skill level.
> Currently, I feel quite comfortable at the 'stick and Sherman Island [on
> days w/o huge waves]. In a nutshell, I feel comfortable in heavier winds,
> but struggle on waves. Are there such places up there?

Sure. Mornings, try the Event Site or the Marina (both in Hood River).
Afternoons, if the windy spot does its usual slide to the East, go to Rowena.
Other possible spots: Bingen, Viento, Rock Creek.

The Hatchery/Swell City will not suit you well, but you might try Doug's
Beach. Big swell in the middle, but wide areas of flat water on both sides
where the water is only 2-5' deep.

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself, and Force 12 winds."
                                        -- Windston Churchill from Maryhill