Re: VHF Radio for rescue/ Cell phones?

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun Aug 02 1998 - 10:33:48 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 13:33:48 EDT
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: VHF Radio for rescue/ Cell phones?

Bob Hood wrote:

> I've been following the great discussion of VHF radios for rescue, but I
> wondered if anyone has good experience with cell phones for those of us
> that have to carry cellular all the time for other reasons (being on call,
> etc.)? Anyone know about good waterproof models?

I doubt that anyone has made a waterproof cell phone due to lack of demand.
You would probably need to go with a regular model in a waterproof radio
pouch. As I've mentioned, all of my "waterproof" bags have failed eventually.
This is primarily because I carry my rescue pack at waist level, so my rescue
equipment unfortuately spends a lot of time 2' underwater where there seems to
be just enough pressure to always force water past the seal or through the
seams. For a cell phone, I'd probably try the technique Michael Schuh just
posted up. See if you can find a comfortable way to carry the phone up near
shoulder level and make sure it is at least within two waterproof bags or
pouches. I talked with someone at Crissy yesterday who told me he uses 4 zip
lock bags for his radio and that it has never been wet yet, so maybe the
multiple layer technique is a good bet... zip lock bags are certainly cheaper
than $20 radio pouches. Just remember, you will probably need to retain some
of that waterproofing even while you are using the phone because Murphy's Law
dictates that it will be 4.0 with blowing spray and monster rollers when you
finally need it.

Peter