Re: Boom Recommendations? + Mastbase Comment

From: Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 12:42:49 PDT

From: Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:42:49 -0700
Subject: Re: Boom Recommendations? + Mastbase Comment

In my experience, boom breakage - and other gear depends on how hard you
use/abuse your gear. Jumping high and learning new moves with
high impact, like looping or jump jibes, stresses the boom and will
make it break sooner. I am pretty heavy, 207#, and go through my
booms pretty fast - replace them at least every two years, usually
once a season. I also sail about 50x/year - more if the weather and work
permit - wherever the wind blows, prefferably the coast. For larger sails,
where you jump less, my booms have lasted 4 years so far.

Other observations about booms:
Windsurfing Hawaii - good booms, power taper is good but breaks faster
Chinook - great value, the small diam. ones bend faster
Fibersnap - seemed to last the longest considering the abuse. On larger
sails,
these definately offer better performance as they are stiffer.

Zeev.

so far I haven't heard about the new carbon front being broken (
NP/Fiberspar boom). It's not unusual to brake the aluminum one. I've
broken a few and I'm only 145lb.
                                  vlad

Vladimir Moroz <moroz@me62.lbl.gov-DeleteThis> on 07/30/98 12:31:06 PM

Please respond to wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis