RE: Sail repair

From: Nick Rayner (Nick_Rayner@Trimble.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 10:50:10 PDT

From: Nick Rayner <Nick_Rayner@Trimble.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>, "'Ron_Klopfer@spectrumsignal.com-DeleteThis'" <Ron_Klopfer@spectrumsignal.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Sail repair
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:50:10 -0700

> The main batten on my older Waddell RAF sail has punched through the
> luff side end of the batten pocket into the mast sleeve. The reinforced
> stitching at the luff end of the batten pocket is blown.
>
> Is that something I can repair myself? What kind of needle and thread
> would I use and where would I get it? Any tips?

REI sell a heavy duty hand stitcher meant for tent and awning repair. It is
on the large side (the needle and thread are quite thick) but its the only
tool of this sort I've found and it should be fine for the sort of repair
you're talking about. If you do use it, you may want to buy the thinner
thread they also have available.

N.

Nick Rayner
mailto:nick_rayner@trimble.com-DeleteThis