Re: 3rd ave parking.

From: Matt Yamamoto (matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 14:05:09 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 3rd ave parking.
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:05:09 -0700
From: Matt Yamamoto <matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

On Thu, Jul 23 1998 11:43, Jay Runge wrote:

> I was about to resend a slightly revised version of the 3rd ave parking
> scheme, but yesterday some people got tickets while parked in a spot that I
> think (hope) should be ok. The got tickets angle parked by the bushes at
> the old launch.
>
> If they decide that we can't park there, it would essentially close the old
> launch. The new launch will be converted from the Zoo that it is now to an
> UltraZoo. I sent email to the people I know at FosterCity.org, I hope that
> good things happen.
>
> We ARE in danger of losing windsurfing at the west end of the San Mateo
> bridge. Don't kid yourself. More complaints from the business across from
> the old launch, friction with the golf course, and bye bye.

>From talking to the police a couple of weeks ago, my understanding is
that it is no longer OK to park along the road at the old launch site.
This includes the area by the bushes where everyone use to park. If you
park there, there is a good chance you will get a ticket. In fact, the
police were giving out tickets a couple of weeks ago without any warning
when I drove by. When a friend of mine asked what harm it does to park
there or why it was illegal, the police could not provide any reasonable
answer -- just that they would ticket if you did.

In addition, if you park in the lot of the business across the street,
site security may have your car towed. This appears to apply after
normal work hours or on weekends since they were telling people to move
their cars when I was there on a weekend. I heard a rumor that the
business had had a rash of break-ins so they hired a security patrol to
patrol the site. One of the security guards also told me that the
business does not like people rigging on their grass because the salt
water kills it.

In summary, all the places where people used to park at the old launch
site now appear to be off limits. I am not aware of any places in the
area where it is OK to park so I guess the old launch site may
effectively be closed. If someone knows what we can do to get this site
re-opened, please let us know.

-matt