3rd Friday, Saturday

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jun 28 1998 - 02:42:19 PDT

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:42:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Friday, Saturday

============= Fri 26 Jun 98 - 3rd - 6.0/257 (196#)

I got stuck at work unexpectedly, so I didn't leave until 4:30.
Got to 3rd at 5:00, guessing I would be greeted by the standard
"you shoulda been here", but I was pleasantly surprised by decent
wind. I took out my 6.0 (too many Walks of Shame already this year) and
was pleased to be overpowered for the first time this year! Warm air,
normal water temp, an ebb swell and a nice steady thermal wind at last!

Swell was 3-4', including lots of sets that were smooth, long and wide.
Around 6:30 it was weakening, so decided to run for shore. I just
barely squeaked in on a plane, so the 6.0 paid off at the end.

I'm using an adjustable outhaul on my booms now. It makes a big
difference on the 6.0 - as the sail gets overpowered and the center
of effort shifts towards the leach, I tweak the outhaul in a bit and
move the pull back into balance so my atrophied arm muscles don't have
to work so hard.

Michael and others came in a little later and slogged a lot.
Meanwhile, Sheldon had broken his mast way upwind. Ian went out to
give him a tow, as did Jay in his kayak. Ian towed Sheldon in about halfway,
and then Jay towed him the rest of the way. Slow work, either way,
but they made it in w/o calling the Coast Guard.

============= Sat 27 Jun 98 - 3rd - 6.0/257 (196#)

Michael and I went to 3rd. It looked kind of marginal for Michael's
4.9/8'6 (150#) so I was glad to have my 6.0 again when I went out 20
minutes later. Turned out the wind notched up around 4:00 and we
were both well-powered. Had to work to stay upwind against the flood
at first, but by 5:00 it was nearing slack water and the swell was
coming up. The swell just go better and better - 4-5 foot, smooth,
long and wide. We rode a bunch, but on the one 6-footer I didn't quite
catch it, just lost momentum and slid down the backside.

The wind was a bit variable, but seemed to build slowly the whole time
we were out. By 6:00 I could have used a 5.0, but my arms were toast.

Big smiles all around!

"I would rather be in the surf thinking about God than in church
thinking about the surf." -- William Herbert Anders