Re: minimum wetsuit thickness?

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 08 1998 - 11:00:37 PDT

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: minimum wetsuit thickness?

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Paul Murata wrote:

> i once recall reading/hearing that the minimum you should go in the bay is
> 4/3 full when i got my original suit but can't find anything lately to
> substantiate that - i'd like to get a 3/2 full for my new suit if that
> would provide an adequate safety margin.
>
> any comments/recommendations?

- I'd say alot depends on exactly where you sail and how far out you
go. At Chrissy and on the coast, I'd say a 4/3 is required. You have
a much bigger safety margin everywhere with a 4/3. However, I and
alot of others sail the summer monthes with a 3/2 in the other
bay locations (Coyote,Berkeley). Others will argue with this
viewpoint.

- If you get one of the new stretchy 3/2's you can easily wear
a neoprene shirt/shorts underneath. Layering works just as well
here as in any outdoor situation, the problem is being able to
move with more than one layer on, the stretchy stuff solves
this one.

- If you are only going to have one suit, I'd get a stretchy 4/3.
They are much easier/comfortable to wear than the older suits and
IMHO a 3/2 is only "safe" in July and August. Even then I'm alot
more cautious wearing a 3/2.

- Booker C. Bense