Crissy field sailing report 4/26 & suicide at bridge

From: Justin Gordon (justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Apr 26 1998 - 20:56:19 PDT

Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 20:56:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Justin Gordon <justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis>" <justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, amir.khosrowshahi@gs.com-DeleteThis, jr@mcm.com-DeleteThis, abraun@pdm-inc.com-DeleteThis, company@hplms26.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Crissy field sailing report 4/26 & suicide at bridge

Today, Bill Weir, Jeff James, and I were sailing by the South Tower at
about 4:30 when we saw a smoke bomb dropped in the water, probably
only 50 yards from Fort Point. Within minutes, Bill spotted a body,
floating face down. We tacked around the body, but none of us know
what to do. A couple of minutes later, a small boat picked up the
body. It was a woman. She did looked relatively young, but I am not
sure, as I never saw her face.

Jeff talked to the Coast Guard and asked if there was anything we
could have done. The Coast Guard said we should not touch a fallen
body, as many are AIDs victims. All three of us were quite shaken by
this.

The wind was light near shore, kind of southerly, and strong in the
center of the bay. The ebb current was about 4 knots. Some of us
sailed about a half mile outside the gate. I was on a 8.2,
overpowered. I could have been on a 7.2. Even with the strong ebb, the
chop was moderate. Near the bridge, the water was like silk.

A friend of mine took a female friend outside the gate and she was
caught in the current, going toward the Farallons at 4 knots. He took
her over to the Marin side, outside the gate, where the back eddy
pushed them toward the bay. It is useful to know about the reverse
currents along the shore at Crissy Field.

Justin
J1