EPIRB vs. VHF

From: David Veach (veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 09:48:57 PDT

From: David Veach <veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind_Talk (E-mail)" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: EPIRB vs. VHF
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:48:57 -0700

here's another safety equipment question for the group...

This is the year that I'll drop the $$$ for a rescue
device. The question is which one? Yesterday I got
a sale flyer from West Marine and they are paying the
sales tax on purchases this weekend in addition to their
sale. Looks like it's time to do it.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two
devices? They're both on sale at West.

1) ACR EPIRB "Mini" B2ILS Survival Kit $229.95
     manually activated
     audible beep (so you know it's sending)
     strobe/flashlight (cool, if it's a good enough strobe)
     small enough to fit in a fanny pack (I think)
     comes with a whistle (nice touch)

2) Std. Communications HX255S Handheld VHF $259.99
     5 watt (5 watt, better than most I think?)
     16ch priority scan
     3 year waterproof warrantee (I guess that covers leaks?)

Given that these two devices are about the same cost, I'm
wondering which would be the best purchase for windsurfing
rescue purposes. I think the main advantage of the EPIRB is
that it provides the coasties a direct beacon to locate you.
(This model also has a strobe which I think I must have so
that saves me another purchase) Does anyone know if they
constantly monitor that freq. and will automatically come
for you if you turn it on? If I have to "signal" distress
in order for them to come looking for the beacon then I'd
have to carry both the VHF _and_ the EPIRB. If that's the
case then I guess I'd go for the VHF and hope I can direct
them to me.

The advantage I see in the VHF is I'll know I've got help coming
and I can talk to them about my situation. That would make me
feel a heck of a lot better floating around alone than turning on
a beacon and hoping somebody is tracking it. I'll still have
to purchase a strobe. (Of course the VHF offers the opportunity
to "chat" as more of us have it but that's not really a safety
issue)

I mostly sail the bay if that makes a difference. I think your
in pretty deep, especially after dark, whether you're heading out
the gate or drifting in the middle of the bay.

I haven't heard much talk about EPIRB, what do you all think?
I'd appreciate some feedback (especially about these two
models since they're on sale) features I should be considering, etc.

Thanks in advance, -dave

David L. Veach
Manager, Dev. Engineering

EMail: veach@lanquest.com-DeleteThis