RE: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story

From: Nick Rayner (Nick_Rayner@Trimble.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 11:29:07 PDT

From: Nick Rayner <Nick_Rayner@Trimble.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: A day in the life of a windsurfer - survival story
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:29:07 -0700

> How about a cord connecting the foot and the board, similar to what
> (no wind) surfers have? Has anybody ever tried it? Is it possible?

Seem to remember it being mentioned last year but don't know if anyone
does it. Could make jibing awkward; might get caught underneath, etc.

One good suggestion was just to make sure the sail was connected by some
backup means to the board, not that I've done this yet but after reading
Carlos's story I'll investigate. You could just put a second bolt in the
mast track and attached a backup line from the sail to that (although
you'd want it attached to the sail in a way that would stop it getting
twisted).

I guess ideally you would have a ski brake type system that deployed a
spoiler or sea anchor if your weight or that of the sail was removed
from the board. Testing prototypes could be messy though it deployed by
mistake...

Thanks for the report Carlos.

N.