1/2 moon bay

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 21:35:32 PDT

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 00:35:32 -0400 (EDT)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 1/2 moon bay

My stomach was definitely knotting up on the way down the coast. [intestinal
crochet]. With all the reports of death-defying make it or break it sailing
the last few days I was getting pretty charged up thinking about the swell at
Scotts. But hold on, 15 feet at 11 seconds just didn't sound too good. I've
been there before and its almost a nervous breakdown each time out,
especially that third reef, the sneaker! The ocean wasn't looking like
corduroy on the horizon as much as it was more like the face of a washboard
from an ant's perspective.
Bump titty bump titty bump, bump, bump!

Passing by the jetty the wind was filled in and a guy was rigging. In my old
age
I made a rational decision and decided to have some fun on the waves at 1/2
moon bay without going for the mondo epic adrenaline adventure.
This place is notorious for gusty, holey, frustrating conditions, but it was
looking pretty good.
I rigged a 4.7/8'6 Enduro (#190) and had a lot of fun. The waves were not
bad
but hard to pick a shoulder without a long barrelling section. From 2:30 -
3:30
the wind / wave dynamics actually turned pretty good, but then things got
more funky as the tide started changing. Rick L showed up and we were
ripping around until he broke his mast. Momentary set back which was soon
rectified.
We had about 4 other sailors out for company and never had to think about
having
enough room.
I sailed till 6 and had one of the best times ever at that spot. Most of the
time it
was back sliding the wave in till it got steep enough for the drop and pop
to the top. A couple of times I got lucky and caught the shoulder allowing
several
bottom turns.
TD