Saturday 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton)
Date: Sun Oct 05 1997 - 02:50:23 PDT

Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 02:50:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton>
To: wind_talk
Subject: Saturday 3rd

============= Sat 4 Oct 97 - 3rd - 6.0/9'1,257 (190#)

I went to 3rd despite wimpy readings because I was jonesing and the NWS
was promising lots of wind. At 2:30, the lot was full of cars but the
rigging area was still full of people. There were a few sailors out on
big gear, but a lot of optimists rigging in the low 5's. I watched
Jerry slog way out on his 5.3 and decided that even with my 6.0 up I
wanted my big board.

That got me out and planing, and about 4:30 the wind ratcheted up enough
to come in for my small board; I stayed on 6.0. The ebb swell kicked in
and we got some nice 2-4 foot swell, with lots of small ramps. I hadn't
sailed in two weeks (nor have I accepted that the season is over yet) so
it felt awfully good to get a nice session.

I kept expecting it to die badly and leave me to swim in, but I stayed
nicely powered on my 6.0 until I was tired around 6:00. There was even
enough to plane in. Jerry reported a good session on his 5.3, but Ed
felt like it was way up and down on his 5.4. Go figure.

"Windsurfing is so addictive because it's like sex: you don't know when
you will get it, and then you don't know how good it will be."
                                        -- Randy Johnson