Monday:Crissy Rocks

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 21:35:14 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Monday:Crissy Rocks

working overtime again this morning, swapping a big heavy prop in San Rafael.
When I'm done around noon, a solid breeze hits me.
what's this?
northwest?
nope.
south west.
implications?
hmmmmm....

more errands and work stuff as the winds confirms its strength and direction.
4pm finds me at the Presidio Yacht Club, improving the breakwater launch
path with buckets of dirty gravel and scoping out the sit-che-ation. it
looks like solid 4.7 or even 4.2, moderate chop, lighter at/outside the
bridge, no waves at the south tower. no other sailors launching here,
though one was leaving as I came in.

I go for it as the wind seems to fill in a bit closer to the breakwater.
standard rig - 4.7/8'8, with a 9' ATF (Blake Edwards) fin. 4:45 launch,
jump off the rocks and plane away, hit a couple DEAD spots, twist and
shout, dodge a tug and barge, enter the solid wind zone and blast down to
the main Crissy launch to make some fine adustments. It's filled in
almost to the beach and there's a whole bunch of fun goin' on, but a bit
too much traffic for me. I head back to the bridge and spend some time
zooming from tower to tower all alone, watching the fog approach. I'm
cautious because of me tough launch spot, but the wind holds even in the
fog. Some more sailors come up, I think I cross tacks with Justin (big J1
on his big sail?) Blast around between the brige and Blackhaller bouy
chasing ferry wakes for a while. the fog thickens from the sw, I decide
to check on my exit area, and end up going in at 6:15. just as on the way
out, hit 2 dead spots, but only for a moment. sailed right into my rocky
ramp, but it was a bitch pulling it all out. on the other hand,
everything came home clean!

this was only my second Crissy session this year, and I feel GOOD!

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis