Re: Collision

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 17:02:25 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:02:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Collision

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, HAL TANGEN wrote:

> Ok so I've been windsurfing hard for 7 years in all sorts of
> challenging conditions and crowded sites but a collision? I'm very
> cautious when I turn. I look all around me everytime. I never want
> to turn into someone but that's exactly what happened to me.
>

> The jibing sailor claimed no responsibility and was confident that
> since he was the upwind sailor he had the right of way. He said that
> it should've been the leeward sailors responsibility to avoid
> anything that comes from windward and therefor I was at fault.

- Rule 1: Boats are not cars... You never have the "Right of way"
  The only "right" you have is to continue on your course while
  the other sailor avoids you. If there was something you could
  have done to avoid the accident you're at fault.

- Rule 2: If you can see it, it is your responsiblity to avoid it.

- Rule 3: If your right hand is near the mast, keep your course
          and let the guy on the opposite tack manouver around you.

> So my question: Two sailors are on starboard reach. Without looking
> the upwind sailor jibes directly in front of the downwind sailor.
> The downwind sailor having not seen the upwind sailor initiate his
> jibe did not have time to react and ran into the side of the jibing
> sailor.

> Who's at fault?

- Everybody, but the most blame lies with the jibing sailor. You have
no "rights" while jibing regardless of the tack you are on. Since
downwind sailors don't have eyes in the back of their head, it's the
upwind sailors responsiblity to avoid them.

> I appreciate any comments. Thanks.

- I have a really good book on this stuff "Racing Rules for
BoardSailors". Likely out of print, but it explains all this
stuff very well.

- Booker C. Bense