PA, 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1997 - 01:54:34 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton>
To: wind_talk
Subject: PA, 3rd

============= Sun 24 Aug 97 - Palo Alto - 6.0/9'1 (186#)

Michael and Kirk and I sailed Palo Alto. It had a good steady 18 knots
at the airport all afternoon, similar on the water. We used the Big
Gear: 6.5/9'6" (230#) for Kirk, 6.0/9'1 (186#) for me, 5.4/8'8 (150#) for
Michael. This was pretty much right and we were very evenly matched.
We had a nice two hours before the wind started dying around 5:30.
About two dozen sailors.

Grant Grundler has a great move to stay in the channel while going out.
You need to go maybe 30 degrees upwind to stay in the 50-foot-wide
stream channel; you need to go about 200 yards to the wind line. He
sailed as upwind as possible until he came to the downwind edge of the
channel, then tacked the board, but stayed standing on the same side and
sailed *backwinded* until he was back in the middle of the channel.
Very slick!

============= Wed 27 Aug 97 - 3rd - 6.0,5.4/257 (186#)

Went to 3rd; it looked on the light side so I rigged 6.0/257.
I went out and was powered off the beach and starting to get OP'd
in the channel. I figured that I could either hang on for an hour,
or rig down and really sail for two, so I came in a rigged down to 5.4.

Going back out again, we were rewarded with even more wind, so the switch
would have been necessary. Had a nice way-powered session with a mix of
2-4 swell and a lot of chop. Good ramps, though; Michael got a lot of
air.

============= Thu 28 Aug 97 - 3rd - 6.0/257 (186#)

I thought this might be a repeat of Weds. Alas, it stayed on the light side.
Some small swells, but lots of steep chop made for very tiring sailing.

Also, I tried my new O'Neill Windskin for the first time. It's the same
model as my old suit, but felt much warmer. For the first time ever,
I was taking little breaks to cool off in the water! I knew my old
suit was getting a little thin in spots, but it has no holes. The
difference in the new suit is quite surprising.

"You notice you can think about windsurfing during sex, but you rarely
think about sex during windsurfing." -- Henry Allen and Paul Cox