Re: Re[2]: El Nino

From: Brad James (bjames@fail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 21 1997 - 11:25:39 PDT

Date: 21 Aug 1997 11:25:39 -0700
From: "Brad James" <bjames@fail.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: El Nino
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

I've also heard that drought = good wind. Here's my attempt at flimsy weather
logic to explain why.....

A stable north pacific high off the norcal coast (what generally causes our
northwesterly wind, upwelling, etc.) - would mean that all the storms pass us
to the north, resulting in little precip here in SF. I suppose in drought
years, we may have a very strong, stable north pacific high which could give
us a longer, windier season.

By warming the water locally, I'd think that El Nino will adversely affect
whatever fall thermals we get by decreasing the thermal gradient between the
ocean and inland areas (unless the inland heats up that much more). Judging
from what I've seen, the only benefit from El Nino could be more and better
winter storm sailing - I'd say a poor trade-off.