Re: Aloha from Kailua

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Aug 16 1997 - 17:19:56 PDT

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Aloha from Kailua

As predicted, there was no wind in Hawaii all last week, But Guillermo
sent a million nice waves to all the east side reefs. Marina got her
first standup ride on the longboard, and I put in about 3 hours a day
surfing sans sail at Flat Island. No driving, just walk up the beach and
paddle out.

Last weekend, 8/9-10, there was the Blue Planet Wave Bash at Diamond Head.
It was held in light and puffy conditions, but the local experts managed
to get some air and do some slashin and bashin. Robbie did not show up.
Interestingly, the break was not closed to other ocean users during the
contest. I watched for a hour while surfing 2 peaks upwind, while other
surfers and sailors were doing their thing 1 peak upwind, and many surfers
were right in there on the same peak as the contestants. There are so
many wave hunters on Oahu that it seems most everyone is resigned to
sharing...at least on the soft and easy waves of summer. I saw a few
collisions, but never saw any hostility in the water.

You can probably find a web page featuring Blue Planet and this contest
at something like:

www.aol.com/users/~josh

I'm sure of the ~josh part and that it's at aol. There were some good
looking pictures on the shop wall that had been snapped from video and
printed on a color bubble spitter.

Bob Galvan
kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis