Flying Tigers Development?

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 10:42:05 PDT

Subject: Flying Tigers Development?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 10:42:05 -0700
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Has anyone been monitoring the development in the Flying Tigers area?
Specifically, it looks like an area of the shoreline at the end of E.
Grand has been filled and graded. I seem to remember some discussion on
the list about this sometime back. If I recall correctly from last
season, the approvals were already a done deal. Notwithstanding, and at
Steve "Da Mayor of Oyster Point"'s urging, I wrote a letter in November
attesting to my use of the area. Is Randy Anderson listening?

My questions are: Did BCDC grant a permit to allow this development? Is
there any provision for shoreline access (specifically, for sailors of
course)? Is there someone who can be called at BCDC or any other
development agency who might be willing/able to answer some questions?

In case you didn't know, there's a small beach at Tigers south of the
pier with the yellow crane on it which is very convenient for adjusting
equipment, and there's no wind shadow. A launch here would avoid the
slog from Oyster, and would be accessible on low tide, unlike Tigers. I
noticed that the WP Fuller building on E. Grand (of Fuller O'Brien -
historic landmark) has a large vacant field behind it which is adjacent
to this beach. It would seem reasonable if they had to apply for any
zoning variances or building permits that BCDC would require public
shoreline access provisions. However, the lot next to the WP Fuller
bldg. is the one currently under development, and my real question is
about this one.

On a related note, the construction at Oyster continues, and frankly I'd
be surprised if they get done by mid-September. Folks are currently
launching from the Genentech site. Things are still a mess at Oyster,
and all the familiar rip-rap is gone, including the landmark inverted
couch. Word is that the concrete ramp is going to be very nice, but due
to legal requirements it will have RAILINGS 'cause it will have steps.
Sounds like a really bad idea to me.

Thanks.

-Ed