Re: Pressure Gradient's?

From: Scott Winkler (stwinkle@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 13:40:32 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:40:32 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Scott Winkler <stwinkle@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Pressure Gradient's?

I geuss there's no easy answer to the ancient question:
Where the *&%$&#@ is it going to blow today?
The UC davis site has a pretty detailed technical discussion
of the situation. Look under the State Forecast Discussion button.

http://www-atm.ucdavis.edu/~wxauto/fos/states/California.html

It's a little hard to read this thing, but if I'm interpreting
correctly, we're sort of screwed until later this week.

At 03:31 PM 8/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, that's a start. But when I tried to build a numerical model of
>winds at SFO from several years of data, I found that there are a lot of
>things that are correlated to the wind we get, but even using them all,
>I still got an error between model and actual values of around 5 knots
>(standard deviation). This is about the same error that the NWS has
>for its SFO forecasts.
>
>Some things that we know matter:
> - pressure gradient from ocean to coast
> - pressure gradient from coast to the valley
> - pressure gradient from the valley to the Great Basin (Nevada)
> - jet stream direction and strength
> - fog depth
> - fog area coverage
> - cloud coverage
> - low pressure systems moving through
> - corriolis effect on large areas of low/high pressure
> - catabatic flow effect
> - time of year
>
>And even though we have all the above info, I, NWS and Mike Godsey all
>totally missed calling Tuesday's big blow at 3rd.
>

>Ken Poulton
>poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Scott Winkler
415 917-9674 (hm)