Homeward Bound

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 31 1997 - 11:25:52 PDT

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Campsurfdawg list -- David Bartolotta <david@bartolotta.com-DeleteThis>, Clay Feeter <WTRACKSHQ@aol.com-DeleteThis>, "Colin J. Case" <102544.2240@CompuServe.COM-DeleteThis>, "Galvan, Daniel CDT " <x01397@exmail.usma.army.mil-DeleteThis>, John Egan <jregan@aloha.net-DeleteThis>, Eric Simonsen <ESSphoto@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Flash Gordon <flash@well.com-DeleteThis>, Leah Doran <vivid@surfnetusa.com-DeleteThis>, Lisa Bauer <recycqueen@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Liz Brady <floraslk@harborside.com-DeleteThis>, Edward B Doubleday <day2@interramp.com-DeleteThis>, Patrick Hamilton <mycochef@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Steve Ulrich <stevenu@unspoken.com-DeleteThis>, Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Homeward Bound

Day #13
=======

Cleaning and packing. High thick fog, but burning back. Waves still
humping. Long waits, great sets.

Now that we're about to go, we can spare enough water to take hot showers.
We've been pretty good on the conservation program and have about 13
gallons left in the 28 gallon tank, another 10 on standby.

We roll at 1:30, taking it real easy, stopping now and then to check and
adjust our spring thing. 3-1/2 hours to the pavement, no mishaps.

There is NO traffic on the road as we aproach El Rosario. It's quiet,
peaceful, eerie.

In El Rosario we find the end of the line at 5:40pm. We're only about a
quarter mile back, so we must have just missed the opening by less than an
hour. I walk the line to find the whole town assembled in the zocalo and
three beautiful people on the gazebo taking Q+A from the crowd. Everyone
is quiet, attentive, polite. It's like a scene from a western movie. The
drivers are all pretty mellow too. Nobody has been waiting long of course,
and by now I think everyone knew the score before they got here. It's late
in the day and there is shade by the side of the road. There's a lot of
socializing going on It's kind of a nice event, meet your fellow
travellers.

Tony takes his camcorder forward and gets a detailed account from bilingual
Juaquin. It seems that El Presidente is comming here tommorrow, and the
feds convince the locals to open the road as a gesture of cooperation.
We roll at 7 after noticing that we lost our steel support bar and the
Nomad's short spring is resting directly on the frame again.

Tony the Metal Man's mind is mulling the spring situation when he notices
some steel fenceposts along the roadside. "Do we have a hacksaw?" "Yes, a
dull rusty one." An hour later in the fading light we have installed a new
support bar. This one is better than ever, and goes all the way home
without any further fuss.

Onward to San Quintin where we meet up with Jackson at the Pemex. We were
airing up the tires and two kids just insisted on wiping the dust off the
van. They actually did a pretty good job, after Tony gave them some CLEAN
rags. We went for dinner with Jackson at Resturant Mission San Isabel,
to which I give 3 splashes of approval. Good food, good service, and clean.

I can only drive for an hour after stuffing myself with camarones, arroz,
cervesa, and flan, but Tony gets us all the way to San Miguel, the surf
resort just north of Ensenada.

Well friends, it's all downhill from here,
But we'll surely do it again next year.

I have grabbed some video frames, mostly of surf stuff so far. I keep
forgetting to use the fast "shutter" speed so they don't look so hot
unless displayed at 800x600 or higher resolution, which makes a small
picture. Anyway, if you want to see some, send me a note. But you won't
get them for about 3 weeks 'cuz...

Next stop -> Oahu!

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis