Pistol River Report

From: tmurguz@amre.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Jul 29 1997 - 14:22:56 PDT

From: tmurguz@amre.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:22:56 -0700
Subject: Pistol River Report

Thursday 7/24: Left SF at 6 am, we were in Garberville before I was
actually awake, and at the Rock at 1pm. In the water at Sebastian by 2pm,
on a 4.5 & 8.6 Stretch. Nice head high waves with an incoming tide push, a
bit light on the inside, but fun, easy side-off wavesailing.

Friday 7/25: 20kts at 9am breakfast, 30kts at noon. The swell is still
getting into the Cape, I rig 3.5 and take out the new 8.2 twin fin. At 3pm
the wind kicks in to stupid force, and I rig down to 3.0. It was still 3.0
at 5:30, the waves were hard to pick out in the gale, and harder to really
do too much with in all the wind. Beer time.

Saturday 7/26: windy at breakfast, swell has turned into NW windswell. Rig
4.0 and 8.2 twinzer at the Rock. there are some big waves and some really,
really sick air. Sailing the rock is very similar to OB, both the force of
the waves (OB probably has more pop to it) and the wind direction (OB is
more onshore, but Pistol has a wicked current that always flows into the
deadzone). Both places share the same strategy: you can't sail straight
out, so pick your line, land all your jumps, and if you're caught inside,
aviod the windhole or face "the walk"

Sunday 7/27: The rock is windy early (again) I rigged 4.5 and 8.6 at
11:30, well powered, but the swell has dropped. The wind was headed to 4.0
again, but we left at 2 to get back here to the day job.

We didn't see any fog the entire time until the drive back. Brookings was
fogged in, as was Crescent city and Arcata/Eureka.