Weekend report and saving yourself with a busted fin

From: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 10:43:27 PDT

From: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 10:43:27 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: amir.khosrowshahi@gs.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Weekend report and saving yourself with a busted fin

Friday, 5:00 - 7:30: Crown Sterling, 7.3 IQ, 9'6. I sailed all the way upwind to
the launch at Genentech. this is just north of Flying Tigers and south
of Oyster. Anybody else sail there?

I was very fully powered, especially later in the session.

At 7:15, about 500 yards east of the runway, I broke my fin. At
ABK camp, I learned that:

1. Tying the harness to the tail of the board does not work well.
2. Better to sail upwind, using the windward rail for resistance.
Downwind also works, but a beam reach is near impossible.

Many thanks to ABK, because that technique got me right back to the
launch, albeit with a lot of sweat. I put my front foot right at the
mast base and my back foot in front of the back foot strap.

Saturday: Awesome day at Rio, from 9:00 - 4:00. On a 4.7 almost the
entire day.

Sunday: Another *AWESOME* day. Not quite as windy, but still good
enough to keep me on my 4.7 from 1:00 to 8:15.

Justin
200#