Re: Wed at crissy and ABK Alumn camp report

From: John V. Morris (jmorris@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 14:08:50 PDT

From: "John V. Morris" <jmorris@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Wed at crissy and ABK Alumn camp report
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 14:08:50 PDT

> ABK Alumn camp was awesome. Andy Brandt and the rest of the crew do an
> amazing job. If you haven't been, you don't know what you are missing.

I'll second that.

I'm more of an intermediate sailor than Justin, but for me,
the camp was a real breakthrough - I was stoked! I finally
completed some planing jibes in realistic conditions (chop, medium
winds, 9' board). I've been struggling with these for quite a while
and the ABK instructors really turned me around. As a bonus,
I learned a bunch of nifty freestyle tricks, got great advice
on improving my stance and generally had a bunch of fun trying
new techniques and falling in the water a lot. In the evenings,
we watched ourselves on video. I was amazed at how well I
sailed in the video; it was almost like having an alter ego
who really knows how to windsurf.

The wind was up and down. When it was down, we played freestyle
on long boards or listened to lectures. When it was up, we sailed.
For Justin, the wind may have been ho-hum, but in the afternoons,
I was planing nicely on a 5.5 and had a blast.

At any rate, the ABK camps are great. The staff are not just
good sailors, they are excellent instructors as well.
Recommended for everybody, beginners through loopers.

John Morris