ABK clinic report, 7/3-7/6 @ Rio Vista

From: Zeev Gur (Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 12:30:06 PDT

From: "Zeev Gur"<Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: "Kami Dycus"<Kami_Dycus@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis>, "Cliff E. Dycus"<Cliff_E._Dycus@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis>, "Michael Imperiale"<Michael_Imperiale@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis>, "Karen Rist"<Karen_Rist/Ple/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis>, "Sean Murphy"<Sean_Murphy@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:30:06 -0700
Subject: ABK clinic report, 7/3-7/6 @ Rio Vista

Just got back from the ABK clinic up at Rio Vista and wanted to
give some feedback.

My wife, Joani, was the official camper - I came along to
rig the sails, change fins, set up tent, get latte's, baby-sit - to be a
lackey. This clinic was my gift to Jo and an investment in
her sailing skills. Joani wanted to learn how to get in the harness and
footstraps.
I hung out with my beautiful daughter - future world windsurfing
champion - close to all the lectures demos so I feel qualified to comment
on the clinics.

In short, this camp is absolutely awesome. If you are learning, this
clinic
will shave years off your learning curve and make it more fun quicker. If
you
are pretty good, it will make you much better. People who should not go to
this
clinic: can do every trick, jump, transition, sail in all conditions, have
tons of gear
......errr they are pros.

Details follow.....

INSTRUCTION: the instructors are very well versed in the topics, and
are awesome sailors who can show you what they mean and what you
may be/are doing wrong. The lectures on - equipment, rigging, sail
handling,
tacking, jibing, footwork, handwork, etc. - were concise, accurate with
just
enough detailed information. The on water instruction seemed to help all
those who were working on specific skills. The simulator work was great -
I am going to set one up at home so that I can practice my hand/footwork
during the week...My master, aka - Joani, let me sail in the am (dawn
patrol)
and pm after my duties were completed. I was amazed at how much the
simulator
work helped me with my sailing (tacks, jibes, jumps, duck jibes.....).

LOCATION: simply, Rio rules. Warm weather, fresh water, good wind, close
camping, no crowds, shaded area for instructions - perfect man! Even
though
this was the 4th of July weekend, the location proved to be excellend. I
imagine
it only gets better during the rest of the year, as there would be fewer
people around.
The campground even has showers - it feels pretty good to take a shower at
night
after a long day of sailing. Just fyi, if you are ever planning to sleep
in a tent for a
camp (vs. your car or rv) pick out a spot by a tree that will block some of
the wind.
The wind comes from the SW. At night the wind rips and wimpy tents get
thrashed.
Sleeping inside a tent that is getting worked is.........not restful.

FOOD/FUN: the ABK team do a great job of feeding you. It is soo nice to
not have
to think/deal with getting, storing, preparing and cleaning after meals. I
paid to eat
with the campers - well worth it. There was a great choice of healthy and
fun food.
No one was hungry. Amstel Light is one of the sponsors this year, which
means
cold brews at dinner time. Each night, except the last night, there is a
video session
where you review a tape of folks sailing. Great time to see how great ;-)
you look
on tape. This is very helpful in understanding what areas of your sailing
can be
improved. When you see the person taping on shore, sail towards them and
do
your move - you will be a star that night. One of the nights dinner/video
was at
Delta Windsurf Company, who are also a sponsor. I missed this dinner - it
was blowing
hard on the river and the slave had to sail......Bob G. joined the campers
for dinner.

At the end of camp, they had an award ceremony and gift raffle. This was
fun,
especially since my master won a pair of kick ass Revo shades.

Side note: our daughter, Johanna (6 mo), had a great time at the camp.
She loves people
and really seemed to thrive on meeting so many friendly warm people who
wanted
to play with her. The effect on her was really cool, she really seemed to
develop
a lot during these 4 days. To her this was just one huge social adventure.
Maybe
Hillary has a clue with her discussions on "it take a village".....

SAILING: We had everything from almost no wind to a good steady 20mph. On
the no wind
time, they focused on lectures. I sailed a total of 5 times in 4 days,
with Saturday's pm
session standing out (5.2/8'8", 207#, big swells for jumping and riding).
My sailing improved a ton. My master had a huge breakthrough - she has
mastered
the harness. At the end of camp, she asked when are we going sailing next
time so
that she can practice getting in the straps.....I was a very happy slave
indeed.......She also
asked if we can get lighter carbon booms/masts.....I no longer need to
EXPLAIN why I want
to get good gear ;-)

If you are learning to, like, are thinking about or love to sail, go to
this clinic!

"Please don't dominate the rap jack, if you've got nothing good to say"