Re: Weekend of Windsurfing

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 10:52:38 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:52:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Weekend of Windsurfing

my weekend started on thursday afternoon when I went to ASD to pick up
the little Enduro (8'2) from the Repair Dept. It was blowing right there
and John was just comming in, saying he "got spanked" so I rigged a 4.2
Nalu and put it in the 8'2 with some paint still tacky and walk across
the street. As usual (I think), lighter inside good power outside (way
outside). The wind gradually backed off, I came in about 7:30.

Friday went to Sherman with my wife. Zeev's story last week inspired us
to go to the Abcess where there is some shallow water, an easy launch, and
good wind. We put a 4.7 on the Bic Veloce 298 and she crossed the river
for the first time! Made it back too, several times. After a while the
flood had carried her halfway to Power Lines, so I sailed the gear back to
where she started. Around 5pm I rigged the 6.2 Alana/8'8 Enduro with a
13" blade and went sailing. It was perfect, but 5 crossings later the
wind had picked up 10mph. I switched to the 4.7- already rigged, and it
was fully powered! We were planning to have dinner with the ABK Camp at
Delta Windsurf Co at 7pm so this was the perfect opportunity do a
downwinder from the Abcess to the Punkhouse. I went for the 8'2 and a
wave fin, which was perfect. zoom zoom zoom, bump + bash, jump + slash,
it didn't take long at all. sure is nice in those empty stretches
between the popular launches. It was ebbing by then too. Ken mentioned
crowds at Powerlines? Just up or down the river a couple of reaches...
The wind did back off as I travelled up river, till I was slogging in
midriver at the Punkhouse. I love the way the gear comes out clean and
dry up there.

After burgers + such with ABK, I drove back down the levee to pick up the
big sail. It was fireworks time. The best one I saw was a firefountain
taped to a mast tip, sailing across the river in the Dark - Totally Excellent.

Saturday morning at 5:30, Brannan Island, it didn't seem windy enough for
a dawn session, so I went back to sleep. By 9am the wind was building,
and we went back to the Abcess. Chris sailed the 4.7 again, I went
5.3/8'8 (140 lbs). By 3 we were done, Chris had had a great time and
wanted to come back for more! We went home for a friends 50th Bday party.
I didn't stay long, had to go up to Laytonville to pick up the daughter
from Camp. Did the 3-hour midnight drive.

Sunday morning in Laytonville. Did the pickup, got coffee, checked with
the wife by cell phone as she checked the Call of the Wind website. We
converged at Rio again. Glassy water under the Rio Vista bridge. oooohhh....
But as we approach Sherman, ripples appear, then sporadic flecks of white.
At the Abcess, Chris works with the 6.2 from 3-5, then takes Marina home
and I take over the sailing. The river crossing stuff isn't too
exciting, so I work on tacks. I'm up to about 1% now.

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis

Tuba today?