Re: What To Do?/Jibing

From: David R. Fielder (dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 04 1997 - 08:15:04 PDT

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 07:15:04 -0800
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis (David R. Fielder)
Subject: Re: What To Do?/Jibing

OK, I guess I'll add my two cents, even though a bit embarassing. I've
been working on jibing for the past three years and just "ran some
numbers". Estimate at least 60 days on water per year, at least 30 jibe
attempts per day (usually 1-2 hour sessions), so rough est of at least
5,000 attempts, majority in Berkeley chop. I'm now routinely above 50% and
on good days may hit the 90's, but % of full planing jibes is still very
low, as many are "survival" and/or displacement at the end - i.e. merely
"dry jibes". Some people say those count, but they certainly aren't
pretty, and harder work, too.

So, maybe someplace between Ken's 2,000 and much higher is realistic
expectation, at least for us "balance/coordination challenged" types not
sailing in Aruba. However, I strongly second Ken's comment about long
reaches and earlier comments about chop. Flat water, when you can find it
- with wind (Candlestick?), and not being exhausted certainly help (balance
goes first, I've been told).

I would like to mention two key points for me which are to avoid the "three
county jibe", as described in Ken Hart's "Carve Clinic I" video (that and
"Power Jibe" seem the best). I realized that was a significant problem of
mine when I tried self-videotaping from stationary camera on shore and
routinely exited (or fell) stage left, off camera! Obviously, the longer
you are in the turn, the more likely you are to be losing speed, therefore
impossible to carve out. Second issue for me, is fast mast/boom flip,
don't dawdle. It also seems to help being OP'd, but then there is the fear
factor. However, when you do plane out the other side, it is amazingly
quiet/peaceful/stable - the "zone".

Final safety comment. Don't forget to look around during the jibe, not
just at start, as you will probably be taking a long time and covering a
very wide arc at first (3 counties), and fast sailors can seem to come out
of nowhere - my only close call was due to that error on my part, a couple
of years ago.

" Rig for the Moment" DRF's Statistics: 185lbs/6'6"
                                        Bic Veloce 288 & 278 XLS Windwings 6.7/5.8/4.9
            USWA Member #US212
                                        Berkeley Marina/His Lordships
                                        Marina Bay/Wherever