Perc Ponds/Sherman/PCS

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 16 1997 - 10:23:52 PDT

Subject: Perc Ponds/Sherman/PCS
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 97 10:23:52 -0700
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

Had a new adventure Saturday afternoon. It was windy as heck in West San
Jose, fog filled the Lexington Gap, and the reservoir wasn't happening (1
guy on a 6.7, 2 guys on original Windsurfers with dorito-chip sails).
The pager also wasn't happening, but I headed for San Luis anyway (which
I understand did rip), but got caught in a massive traffic jam, so I
decided to bag it and go home. When I got back to Camden Avenue I
noticed that the percolation ponds right off 17 had whitecaps!
Whoopty-do!

Got there and 5 other sailors were there, two trying to beat it upwind
from the launch. Bad idea, 'cause it was straight upwind, and gusty, and
they couldn't make any progress. I walked my stuff up the bike trail 50
yards or so and rigged my 4.9/8'8". Ripped it up for the next 2.5 hours
or so, but the sailing was
waterstart/plane/hook-in/straps/un-hook/unstrap/jibe/crash/waterstart.
Not great sailing, but I couldn't get the smile off my face. Bruce, one
of the mail-person contingent from 3rd, also showed up. I learned a new
skill that day, waterstarting already hooked in and in the straps! A
must for those 15 second reaches. Wear booties if you ever sail there,
lots of fishing lures and broken glass. One sailor found this out the
hard way and bled all over the parking lot.

Heard that Sherman and San Luis ripped Saturday late. I went to Sherman
for dawn patrol Sunday morning for the early ebb. Again, wasn't great,
but at least I got to sail. Made it back to San Jose for Dad's day at 11
am. Sunday afternoon looked great on the pager. Reports?

No PCS coverage on the levee road. Coverage is OK on 160 (?) but drops
off quickly as you past Delta Windsurf Company. I like the new parking
area below the access.

-Ed