Re: RE: got rescued on Saturday

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 22:51:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 01:51:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: RE: got rescued on Saturday

This doesn't hold true for surf. The rules change, especially with epoxy
boards as Barbara mentioned.
I lost my gear way outside at Scotts a few years ago on a big day on a
breaking wave that caught me when I was stalled with no wind going out. It
was an unusually big wave that broke on a reef in the channel that normally
doesn't pitch the waves. I had to swim for over 45 minutes to ultimately
catch my board on shore. The current and waves kept dragging my gear just
out of reach. I had a chest/waist harness by DaKine (which they don't make
anymore) that somewhat impared my swimming.
The key, I agree, is don't hesitate. Go for the board. You can paddle it
in, or at least float.
TD