Re: PCS cell phones (was renters insurance)

From: Gr8Jibe@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 23:14:46 PDT

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 02:14:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gr8Jibe@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: PCS cell phones (was renters insurance)

<< Their coverage map claims coverage over water on the bay, and I
 wouldn't doubt it given the good signal at 3rd and Coyote, but I've not
 taken my phone out on the water to check :-) >>

If anyone has tried a PCS phone in the channel, please let me know. I
wouldn't sail the bay without my cell phone anymore, and I may switch to PCS.

You CAN waterproof your cell phone with a $20 radio bag from West Marine,
inside a waterproof fanny pack from Easy Going, 1385 Shattuck Avenue,
Berkeley, CA (and Walnut Creek) for $25. I've been sailing with my phone for
weeks. In addition to the pack's webbing strap around my waist, I attach the
fanny pack to my harness with a keyring on shock cord, so there is little
risk of losing the whole pack.

A few drops get into the fanny pack in an afternoon of sailing, but nothing
penetrates the second barrier. And one can operate the phone inside the
radio bag in a rescue situation, as long as you open up a flip phone before
you put it in the radio bag.

I don't go out to the channel without:

1. Helmet
2. Shock cord from mast track to rig (in case of separated universal or bolt)

3. Phone (or radio)

Bill