3rd Ave Report - 6/5/97

From: Robert L Indig (rlindig@beckman.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 09:53:19 PDT

From: "Robert L Indig"<rlindig@beckman.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:53:19 -0800
Subject: 3rd Ave Report - 6/5/97

The parking lot at Coyote was only half full? At 3rd the parking was very
full. I had to park in San Mateo (it seemed that way). Dropped off my stuff
at the launch, 3.9 Windwing MP41, 8'3" Seatrend (150#). Before I could even
start to rig I was told to go smaller. Ran back to my van to get the 3.5.
Finally got in the water at 6 PM. Immediately powered at the launch and got
big scary air on the inside. Once in the channel there were big smooth area
between the swells. The swells were big, but not huge. Actually I was a
little surprised that they were not bigger considering the wind. Every
thing was going pretty well except my harness lines were WAY too long. I
thought I had adjusted them last time. I tried fixing them in the water
without much luck. Continue sailing, riding swells. The new Seatrend with
the 9" wave fin is really working well. After another of a long series of
crashes I realize the camber has come off the mast. Trying to get it back
on the batten cap broke. Boy these Windwing batten caps totally suck. Now I
can't tension the batten enough so the camber pops off again. I decide to
keep sailing pseudo RAF. The funny thing is that the sail jibs much better
now. No more "frwap" when jibing. After nearly an hour of cursing at my
gear and having a great time I decide to call it. The wind was getting
fluky and I wanted to hear the Jon Krakauer talk on the radio at 7 PM (he
wrote a book about the Everest tragedy - great book). Overall, a fun day.

BTW, this morning I shortened my harness lines and put on a new batten cap.
I'm ready for round 2. And my next sails will be RAF.

just bob