Re: Sherman Wed PM report, wave sails comments/question

From: tmurguz@amre.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 13:46:31 PDT

From: tmurguz@amre.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 13:46:31 -0700
Subject: Re: Sherman Wed PM report, wave sails comments/question

>Would like to get some feedback about wave sails. I am working
>with Bruce Sheldon on a custom 5.7 wave sail. I have an option of a 5
>batten sail where the middle 3 battens do not go all the way to the >mast
(like the hot sails) or a 5 batten with 1 camber or a normal 5 >batten.
>Anyone out there who loves the hot sails? Pros? Cons? Is 5.7 too big >for
the hot like design? How well do 1 camber sails do in the surf?
I am a hot sail believer, and have sworn off cams for life. The spiderloks
are very quick to power up, and you can pump out of danger with relative
ease compared to a cam sail. The best analogy I've hit on is the
spiderloks are like two stroke engines: quick into the powerband, but
you're not going to win any races with them. They sail really big because
they have so much low end. The 5.0 spiderlok has power more like a 5.5
because of the lack of battens, but is more stable than you might suspect.
The 5.3 sails really big. They depower quick for tricks & waves, are nice
& light and the only rag on them is the durability. I got mine at the
beginning of last year, and my 4.5 is starting to crack around the bottom
batten.

Hot put out the spider fives this year, with the full batten all the way
through the sleeve. I haven't tried them, but if you demo the two, you'll
get the feel for the batten difference.

Bail on the middle battens. The next time you're in the davenport death
zone, you'll be glad.