Re: Board damaged!

From: Ken Zemach (kzemach@faamail.fail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 19:29:29 PDT

Date: 20 May 1997 19:29:29 -0700
From: "Ken Zemach" <kzemach@faamail.fail.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re:  Board damaged!
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

                      RE>> Board damaged! 5/20/97

The scoop on the deviator:

Being a veteran deviator user, or should I say ex-deviator user, there are few
things that you might want to know.

1) Borrow one from someone, put it on your board, and make sure it helps your
boom to clear the nose. I used one on a 298 Fanatic, and what happened is
the deviator would push the mast off to the side, but the boom would actually
hit part of the nose. After a few hard hits on the nose (the boom is being
forced to hit the same part of the nose over and over and over...) I took a
good sized chunk out of the nose of my board, and that's with a deviator AND a
boom bra.

2) Deviators appear to be VERY hard on tendons/universals. I later switched
my deviator to an ASD Enduro (great board, by the way) which was small enough
that the boom didn't hit the nose. However, in half a season (about 30 days on
it I'd say) I noticed that my tendon ( a Streamlined, orange strong S.O.B.)
was almost completely torn near both bolt holes. Why did I even get close
enough to inspect it? Because a friend of mine had to have a tendon set
brought out to him when his (another of the damn strong streamlined ones)
broke in the channel at Coyote. I don't know how old his tendon was, but he
he started using the Deviator last season also. I know that this isn't exactly
scientific, but I have never heard of those tendons breaking that quickly.

So what's my recommendation? IF the deviator doesn't cause your boom to hit
the nose, and IF you plan on inspecting your tendon on a VERY REGULAR BASIS, I
suppose it's a pretty cool invention. However, if you're not going to meet
the first two criteria, then you need to learn how to fall. When you get taken
forward, sheet in really really hard- you'll get taken over the front of the
board, hit the water like a thermonuclear device (I've broken 2 DaKine Harness
buckles and one spreader bar that way) but you will never hurt your board.
The choice is yours...

"Sailor #3"