Re: Board damaged!

From: Marc Owerfeldt (Marc.Owerfeldt@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue May 20 1997 - 16:20:08 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 16:20:08 -0700
From: Marc.Owerfeldt@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Marc Owerfeldt)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Board damaged!
Content-Md5: Oh1klSvdg3k+13Lh3I6WUg==

Thanks for your help. My board is a Bic Vivace. Anything particular I have to
do?

I don't care too much for the look of the repair work and I definetely don't
want to wait several weeks to get the board back.

I heard once that there are deflectors available. They get mounted on the mast
foot and prevent the mast from falling straight on the front end of the board.
Has anybody got experience with deflectors?

~marc

> From poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis Tue May 20 16:10:48 1997
> Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 16:10:20 -0700
> Originator: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
> From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
> Subject: Re: Board damaged!
>
> > Last weekend at Candlestick - at the end of an excellent surfing day -
> > I managed to destroy my surfboard. In a violent crash the mast went
> > down and the boom cut right through the nose of my surfboard.
>
> I hate it when that happens. But it does.
>
> > This is my first board and I don't know what can be done to fix it.
> > Does anybody have some advise, i.e., where to get a repair job, how
> > much this might cost and how long this might take.
>
> What kind of board? And how much of the nose?
>
> Almost any damage can be repaired on epoxy and glass boards, at the cost
> of added weight. You can go to ASD (near Coyote Pt) for these.
> Figure a week or three and $50-300, depending.
>
> Production boards (Bic, Mistral, F2, etc) are usually repairable, but
> they tend to look obviously repaired. Plastic boards (Tiga) are usually
> unbreakable, but nearly irreparable if broken.
>
> Whatever kind of board, the first step is to stand it on end to let the
> water run out. I set it outside so the Sun's heating will help.
>
> > The nose is still attached to the board, however there are some very
> > big cracks on both sides. Is it possible that I repair that myself?
>
> Self-repair is also possible, though it may require a lot of learning
> if the damage is severe. Materials depend on the board materials.
>

> Ken Poulton
> poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
>
> "Everyone should build his own board at least once."
> -- Ed Angulo (pro sailor and board
builder)