St. Annie of the Waves

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 22:52:50 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: St. Annie of the Waves

I knew it was going to blow. You knew it was gonna blow. Everybody knew,
even the TV weather people. So we planned and schemed and finessed our
schedules and hit the road after lunchtime, headed for Tubamancha!

At least Annie and I did, where were youse guys? Anyway, Annie is the
mcneil who was asking in this forum about where to learn to wavesail in
the North Bay area. I led her to believe that Tuba is the place for her,
and been dragging her out there a few times over the past month or so.
First time was toooo windy. Second time was tooooo light. Third time
(thurdsday) was juuuust right.

When we got there around 2, Brendan from Sacto was already up in the
waves at Steam Engines, looking very happy. We walked the boards down
to the beach and decided on 4.7 and 4.0 (mcneil is a real lightweight).
After rigging and suiting up the wind cranked up a notch so it seemed
prudent for us to rig down a notch: 4.2 and 3.5, 8'2Enduro and 7'10Clam.
Brendan came in just as we got down to the water, confirming that the
wind had jacked up, and the waves were "sweet".

And away we went! The launch was rather exciting. Consistent 4' waves
made it kinda dicey. Annie got rinsed a couple times, but persevered and
soon we were tracking up the beach. We made the trek no problemo.

As usual, nice long clean little rights on smooth water...
wind was kinda off/on inside, just like all the other coastal spots...
Annie was working on figuring out how to get caught by a wave. She got
it a few times. "It makes you go really fast!"

After a while a couple guys from San Francisco showed up. First time
they had ever been to Limantour/Tuba, they didn't really know anything
about it, weren't even sure where they were going, but they found it,
and they sure were happy they followed us up the beach!

So we sailed Tuba till about 6. Wind was backing off a bit, but we
planed most all the way back. Gawd my Nalus rip.

So now there is another wavesailor on the coast. It's all my fault.
You can flame me when she cuts you off.

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis