errant golf balls - resend

From: Bob Prevett (prevett@shreddr.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 10:40:09 PDT

From: "Bob Prevett" <prevett@shreddr.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:40:09 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: errant golf balls - resend
Cc: prevett@shreddr.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis

So I'm rigging up in the gravel at Third around 3pm and a gold ball lands a
couple feet away from me. Being in a case of severe rigging frenzy, I just
made a quick mental note to go over to the golf clubhouse and complain after
sailing. Ten minutes later, when I'm just about ready to go out, another golf
balls narrowly misses me and lands in the gravel. This time, I ran up to the
fence to determine where it came from exactly: the range or the side course.
 Turns out it came from some guys who were teeing off on that side course.

After sailing, I brought the two errant golf balls over to the clubhouse and
had a talk with the people there. The goal was not to go ballistic about
almost getting hit twice in the span of ten minutes, but rather to reinforce
the following points:

1) There is still a safety problem with golf balls landing in the
windsurf/pedestrian area. It seems that the problem is the side course having
a low fence only. There should be some real protection here from overdriven
balls. When it's blowing 3.5, balls are likely to travel farther than
expected. It seems that overdriven balls from the range are now a solved
problem, but I'm not sure.

2) It would be better to acknowledge and correct this problem sooner that
later. Nobody wins if this problem goes uncorrected for too long and someone
ends up getting hurt.

Since I went in with a non-agressive attitude, the Mariner's Point people
seemed pretty reasonable. They acknowledged that there is a problem with the
side course that needs correcting. They also said this issue is being studied.
 They said that they have been keeping Randy Anderson in the loop on their
progress.

So, if any balls land near you at 3rd Ave, try to figure out from where they
came (range or side course) and go over to Mariner's Point to tell them about
it. Bring the ball (or balls in my case) with you. This should help add some
urgency to their effort.

BobP

BTW - Sailed 3.5m2 (165# sailor) at 3rd yesterday. Was the windiest that I
have ever sailed there. Yowza!

--
Bob Prevett (prevett@engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis)	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
(415) 933-5315				M/S 2U-923