Re: Wind Prediction Data

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 11:29:58 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Wind Prediction Data

> Rather than depending on wind addicted windsurfers, you should talk to Jim
> Martin at call of the wind to get real wind info. Any info that sailors give
> you will be way to subjective based on sailing style, weight and equipment
> tendencies.

I have the historical data for Call of the Wind sites since they
went on the web a year ago.

The point of polling sailors is to find the wind where we sail.
All the Peninsula sensors are at least a mile from where we actually
sail, and generally on the wrong side of the windline. If we got
enough data, this would average out the individual differences
and would be useful. It does need a lot of data.

"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs." -- Robert Firth