Re: Wind Prediction Data

From: JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM (JMILUM@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 10:58:40 PDT

Date: 11 Apr 97 10:58:40 -0700
From: "JMILUM.US.ORACLE.COM" <JMILUM@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Wind Prediction Data

Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit Content-Type:text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Rather than depending on wind addicted windsurfers, you should talk to Jim
Martin at call of the wind to get real wind info. Any info that sailors give
you will be way to subjective based on sailing style, weight and equipment
tendencies. I bet Jim would be receptive to giving you some sort of
historical data. I think Mike Godsey is working for Jim too, you might want
to contact him since he is definitely the Guru of wind prediction.

You are going to have a hard time correlating this wind info. Those reports
are based on wind speed for big boat sailing and fisherman who don't really
care about a 5mph difference. The dual personality of bay area wind based on
pressure system alignments and fog-generated thermal winds will also make this
correlation difficult. Many days Coyote is blowing and Crissy isn't or vice
versa and those NOAA forecasts don't even try to predict these types of
weather patterns.

By the way has anyone ever seen anything from the NOAA predicting fog burnoff?
 In mid-summer this seems to be the key factor in determining what sights will
blow (or where you might want to barbeque). To my knowledge this type of
prediction does not seem to be currently reported.

Thanks.

Jeff Milum
Regional Manager DMD New England
415-506-0575