Re: One last one regarding Tues

From: Michael Schuh (schuh@apm-iris5.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 08:24:56 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:24:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: schuh@apm-iris5.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: One last one regarding Tues

I think a lot can be learned from the good decisions and mistakes
that were made yesterday. I found Harry in the water with a broken
mast and two other sailors helping him. Certainly enough people to
get the job done.

Good decisions:

1) I could of sailed on and left Harry because he had plenty of help,
   but decided to stick around and make sure he got in safely.
   Very quickly after I arrived, the other two sailors went into
   shore with Harry's booms and mast base and Harry would have
   been alone.

2) I gave him my 20' tow rope. Neither he nor Ken had one.
   I think I will replace it with a 30' rope that floats. 20'
   was not long enough for those conditions.

3) When the towing looked like it was not going to work, I went
   straight to third and got Poulton to call the coast guard.
   It was clear to me that Harry and Ken MIGHT make it back but
   HIGHLY LIKELY that they would not.

4) After the helicopter arrived, I insisted that it search near marker
   8 and not down around the SM bridge. I last saw Harry near 8
   and he was moving up wind and not down wind. After Ken came in,
   he reported that they were North of 8 (further up wind).
   Marker 8 is up by the Coyote point marina. Marker 8a is by third.
   The helicopter did not know where to look. Be sure and note
   where you are if you go for help. It is hard to find someone
   on the water.

5) I gave Ken my strobe and showed him how to use it before
   he went out. I also wrote down his name and a description
   of his vehicle in case he became the next person that needed
   rescuing.

Mistakes:

1) I should have told Ken and Harry that I had gone for the coast
   guard. Then Ken would have stayed with Harry and Harry could
   have been quickly located.

2) I should have given Harry my fanny pack with all of my safety
   gear since he did not have any. I must admit that I found this
   difficult to do because I was way overpowered at 150 lbs and riding
   an 8'6" bump and jump with a 4.3 race sail. I had way too much
   sail. Poulton at 190 lbs was using his 3.7 and doing fine. I
   might have needed my own safety gear but should have given it
   up anyway to someone who definitely needed it.

3) I think Harry is a very strong sailor. I should have asked
   if he would have wanted to try and tow me on his board with
   my board. I think Harry might have been able to do this but
   am not sure.

4) I should have made a better effort to tell Poulton what I was
   doing. I left my buddy and he did not know what happened to me.
   This was poor, but I must admit, I do it all of the time. This
   is a tough call. Although I have gotten very good at finding
   people on the water while sailing, I might have lost Harry.

5) We should have given Ken a radio when he tried to sail back to Harry
   in addition to the strobe. Ken Poulton was certainly willing to
   loan it to him had he only known.

6) I should buy a new mast and smaller sail for the 30+ conditions.
   My four year old mast and 4.3 sail do not cut it for safety reasons.

7) I need to get a bike pump strap for attaching my strobe to my
   helmet or arm for when I try to use it. Currently it is lose and
   I probably will drop it if I try to use it in extreme conditions.
   I should probably get a float for it too.

Michael