Jumping While Hooked-in

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 09:32:37 PDT

Subject: Jumping While Hooked-in
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 09:32:37 -0700
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

OK, I admit it, I jump while hooked in. I thought it was dangerous, but
given that I couldn't figure out how to unhook without losing speed at
the critical time going up a ramp, I've continued to do it. Besides, 50%
of the time, when I get airborne, my harness line drops out anyway.
Reality struck yesterday when I had to bail at an uncomfortable altitude,
and got slammed against my mast on the landing, still hooked in. Good
thing I was wearing a helmet. Both the side of my head and my shoulder
are sore today. Now I know how that guy broke his neck.

So you were right, Booker, it is a dangerous proposition. But
how/when/where do you unhook? At the base of the ramp, just before going
up it? On takeoff when you sheet in? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bozo rescue redux yesterday. Guy with antique equipment broke his mast
in the channel yesterday. Someone else gave him a tow back in. He
didn't even know how to paddle (was trying with a 3' mast extension, I
told him to get rid of it, and he ignored me). I gave him my strobe. He
was wearing a shorty, was riding a old Bic (vintage '89, 120 liter or so)
9'0". Is there a sign at Third that says, don't wear a shorty here or
you will die? I asked him if he wanted my strobe, and he didn't even
know what one was. I gave it to him anyway.

Otoh, maybe I'm the bozo.

-Ed