Re: wind prediction

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Apr 05 1997 - 22:32:51 PST

Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 22:32:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  wind prediction

> The better approach to the problem is to correlate the data and
> forecasts with the actual situation on the water, like Ken has tried
> for SFO. (Other data sources, such as windtalkers may also be
> useful.} With the differences in conditions at various sites along the
> west bay, good correlation of NWS data to SFO results would be only
> slightly better than the present situation. However, this correlation
> between NWS data and SFO results is a necessary capability if one is
> to do the real problem. If one can not do that, it is doubtful that
> predictions can be made at the windsurf sites.

I agree that predicting SFO wind is not the end of the story, but I
think we have a pretty good feel for the correlation between SFO and
SoSF readings and the wind we find at Coyote and 3rd.

I have thought about collecting data from sailors. I think we would
want the sail size used, sail size desired and sailor's weight as a
minimum entry; we could get fancier such as doing it hour by hour. I
even have my own daily logs going back to '91. But I think this is
premature until we can come up with a better prediction of the winds at
sites with plenty of objective history such as SFO (or, since web access
started a year ago, the CotW sites).

"Everything should be made as simple as possible. But not simpler."
                                        -- Albert Einstein