Re: Any reports from yesterday? --> Tuesday Davenport -Reply

From: Ben Cristi (BENJAMIN_CRISTI@novell.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 03 1997 - 14:12:01 PST

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 14:12:01 -0800
From: Ben Cristi <BENJAMIN_CRISTI@novell.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Any reports from yesterday? --> Tuesday Davenport -Reply

I haven't sailed since October, but I consider this my "home" break so
here's general info on wave sailing Dav:

Launching: There's generally a nasty shorebreak everywhere,
regardless of tide, except at the North end of the beach, towards the
rocks/cliff. Unfortunately, there's usually little wind at the north end as
well. You'll have to make a choice based on the conditions and your
ability.
A. launch through the shorebreak. You'll have to time the shorebreak as
well as the wind gusts, the moment it's right, Don't Hesitate.
B. launch at the north end, waiting for a gust if necessary. If you fall in,
the current will immediately carry you downwind. I've seen people
continue to try to waterstart, get caught in the shorebreak and snap a
mast. You need to immediately swim your rig away from the beach (and
shorebreak), and watch for gusts. When you see a gust coming,
waterstart and go. This is generally the safest method, especially when
it's gnarly.

The lower break is great. The waves are easier and more fun to ride
than Waddell, and more forgiving (less crunchy). On the downside, if
you get caught on the inside on a big day at high tide, there's a good
possibility of getting pounded on some rocks.

The upwind break is usually not sailable (not that fun anyway) until the
waves get big enough to break past the windline. Typically, that's close
to mast high. Then it can be fun. Just don't get suckered into riding a
wave all the way inside the windline.

>>> Justin Gordon <justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis> 04/02/97 10:21am >>>

Unfortunately, I broke my mast walking out. The beach slopes off
steeply and the tip of my sail got stuck in the outgoing water.
Any tips on sailing Davenport? What is the lower break like? What are
the hazards?

Thanks.

Justin