Re: COTW 3rd Av. sensor

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Mar 25 1997 - 17:00:02 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:00:02 -0800
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: COTW 3rd Av. sensor
Cc: jim@windcall.com-DeleteThis

> Is the sensor operational yet? I get readings on my pager, but some are
> rather odd. Also, the Windcall WWW web site lists the site as still not
> operational. Basically, can I start "calibrating" my brain now, or should
> wait a bit longer ?.

Not yet! The machine is installed and sending data, but the sensor is
not in place yet. It's sitting on an 8' poll by the building at the
golf course. Jim Martin is trying to arrange a crane to install the
sensor on top of one of the super tall polls supporting the nets. It
will be on the first tallest poll on the NW corner of the nets.

So you may be asking "why there, why not closer to the water?". It's a
matter of logistics. Putting it closer to the water will require the
digging of a trench to bury the cable, and a long cable run. Placing it
closer to the building requires getting it up high, so it won't be
blocked by obstructions. I don't think the difference in wind speed
will be noticeable at that height, and if it is, the windtalker can be
calibrated to adjust.

~Jim Paugh